Wednesday, March 12, 2008


We launched into a significant innovation in managing the power grid. A crossing gate and signal were wired to an isolated outside rail. The power source was the center rail. We disconnected the center rail feed and ran a feed back to the 24 volt constant terminal. Permformance of the two accesories improved immeasurable. This also prevents the accessories from drawing from the variable power of the locomotives. the next step is to apply this principle to the remote switches.

The next innovation was to run the two diesels together. They worked well together. Once they became unsyncronized (in the tunnel!). The pulled the longest possible load up the hill nicely. We added one too many cars and actually ran into ourself on the tighter bottom reverse loop. Great fun.

I am toying with the idea of two-train continual operation. It will require additional blocks (about 11 total). The alternative is to use the two-throttle capabilites to control speed on the lower and upper loops.

I am starting to feel cramped. I want to be able to switch from one consist to another and to store all the cars at the end of the day. I will likely store some cars to make room until I launch into the bridge phase of the project.

I planted a dead tree today. It looks good. I need to find the tree it came from and get some more. I also want to do some rural driving and see if my favorite weeds are up yet.

No comments: