Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Mike, Carla & Team,
I did not ask you last night to include me as a mentor since we were running late and never really discussed what that meant until briefly towards the end. However, I think I have a general grasp of the “job description”.
Therefore, I would like to be put down as a mentor to Shekhar and Januka Pokhral even though I will be out of state from June 14 to end of July or no later that Aug 14. I also include Bhola Shiwakoti and sons Achut and Yogya (12) as well as his wife Khina and mother Bishnu (or Khina’s mother?) who are not coming to Trinity. I will occasionally be in touch with them by phone and letter over the summer and am also committed to providing 2-3 monthly bus passes for June, July and August.
When Januka and Shekhar came to my house for dinner a week ago last Sunday some Ghimireys (Tek, Mina, Pabi & Kalpana) and some Khanals (Soma, Gita, Bhola & Kopila) also came. Bhola (16) was especially friendly and eager to help with all the loading, unloading and putting together of the bed for Bhola’s apt. What a neat young man! I’ll want to stay connected to them as well.
Just as a point of information: For the past 3 Thursdays I have been at the Shiwakoti’s & Pokhrals. First, we practice English for a couple of hours. (Thanks for the books, Carla.) The largest percentage of participants are the 19-20+ young men who are job hunting. Then we run errands. We’ve been to the Goodwill career center (Thanks for that info, Carla), the library for cards, the airport for testing, to pick up a small computer desk for a neighbor, and the Bead Museum and Cerreta’s with the “girls”. Don’t know what we’ll do this Thurs, my last until August. But we’ll have fun! Hope it will be productive.

Lynda Geames

No comments: