Tuesday, December 09, 2008

From: Kathleen Petty

Team: I picked up Kamala and Bula (spelling?) at 7:45am to take them to LSS for a child care training class. There were a dozen or more children waiting for a school bus. I wonder if Tara can take a bus?? It was so cute, about 7:48 Tika came down to see if the "girls" got picked up. He looked like a regular American with a coffee mug in hand, sweat pants and slippers. Kamala looked so nice in a black pant suit, very American, I told her.
The girls talked in Nepali but Bula speaks very good English. She taught kinder garden. She saw south mountain and said she missed the mountains of Nepal so much.
The traffic, rush hour, was terrible and I think they were nervous we were going to be late. I assured them we had plenty of time. We got to the office and around 8:40 am the waiting room was packed. There were probably 8-10 people in the class. I waited until they went back with the instructor and then I left.
After LSS I stopped by Trinity and spoke with Mark G about the Christmas gift program for the refugees. He will discuss at the staff meeting today and let me know if it is approved or not. Most likely it would not be called an angel tree, maybe an ornament tree. We would have to carry the tree over to the education center between services so will probably use a small tree that Trinity has. We also discussed the possibility of Trinity co-sponsoring another refugee family after the 1st of the year. He will bring this up in staff today as well.
On my way home I made a turn at Target and purchased the rice cooker. It was $29.99 and will cook anywhere from 4 to 16 cups of rice. I don't think they will have a problem with this one being too small.
I'll let you know more information as soon as Mark G. calls me.
Kathy.

No comments: