Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Picked up Tika and girls for trip to Cholla branch library. Kamala wanted to stay at home. Before we left the apartment Tika told me the vacuum was not working again. I got it out, and it started right up. Uma said I am magic! The look on Tika's and Kamala's face was so funny. We used it a while to see if the problem would show itself, but it worked like a charm. I then showed them the upholstery brush and showed them how to use the hose. Much to my surprise, but no surprise to whomever hauled that couch in, it's a sleeper sofa! Wow. That thing is huge. So I surprised them with pullling a big bed out of their couch!! It was like magic again!! They thought it was very funny!

Tika has an ID card issued by LSS (I think) but with "State of Arizona" on it. I thought this would be sufficient ID since "government issued ID" is one of the acceptable forms of ID for a library card. Apparently the library system is on "level orange alert" from Homeland Security because it took a bit for the librarian to be convinced this ID was okay. He said it's easy to fake ID's in order to get library cards. I had no idea library cards were in such high demand. Anyway, they were all issued library cards, and we did a brief tour of the library and figured out how to reserve time on the computers on the second floor. Since I'd never done this, it was a learning experience for all of us. Tika signed on to his yahoo mail account and emailed two of his friends with help from the girls. He apparently had never emailed anyone so I don't have any idea when/how he got his email address. I don't know how the girls knew how to use it as they said they didn't have computers at school in Nepal. Tika, Uma and Purna all had a beginner's understanding of the keyboard and typing, so that's positive! Uma and Purna already knew how to check out books, but I insisted that Tara and Tika also learn (the older girls were ready to go, in that funny teenage way). So they scanned the books out and off we went. (I also made absolutely sure they understood that they will be fined if the books are overdue). We met up with my son, Billy, at Chik-fil-A in Metrocenter and introduced them to Hindu-friendly fast food. Then we walked the mall and talked a bit about cost, sales, etc. Then the highlight was meeting the mall Santa Claus, and trying to explain a 1700 year old story in light of a kind of strange mall Santa Claus.

We then drove to Piestewa Peak and to some funky hill top apartments off of Northern and 12th street. The most amazing 360 degree view ....they really enjoyed it. We could see that Chase "the ball" Field had the roof open, they spotted the Sheraton Hotel at Dunlap and I-17, and saw planes coming and going. We could even see the Phx First Assembly off of Cave Creek. This is the weirdest piece of property in central Phoenix but I like the view.

Throughout the day we had a lot of conversation and vocabulary practice. I also learned that they had waited 8 months for their visas and had ONE DAY notice to pack and leave. Tika said the girls cried all night when they received notice. They had so much to do in one day...he said it was very difficult. They gave away most of their belongings, had to get the girls' school certificates and many, many other tasks. I asked if this was customary to get only a day notice and they said yes. I asked how they chose Phoenix and Uma said they did not choose. Tika said no one gets to choose where they go. Amazing.

A few details: they have not as yet received their cash assistance which will help with nonfood purchases, but I don't know if they have to pay rent out of that. They receive $950-ish/month on their food card. They are excited to buy goat meat. Does anyone know if Lee Lee's accepts food debit cards?

Oh yes, another bit of progress........when I arrived they were NOT watching the Nepali dvds but were watching a dvd on mountain gorillas, in ENGLISH!

Any questions or concerns just give me a call....
Carla

1 comment:

Mike Darus said...
This comment has been removed by the author.