Wednesday, November 19, 2008

I was drawn back to the apartment. I wondered if I realy had a freindship going with Tika. He greated me warmly. I gave him some lip balm. My original suggestion of usin lotion was a little desperate. Frankie and Emery had just left. Carla was still there. She was surrounded by all the girls on the couch. Carla took the girls out to blow bubbles. A dozen kids from the complex were dancing below the balcony in the bubbles.

I found out more about Ganga. Her parents chose to go to New Zealand. Her husband and his parents chose Phoenix. There are over 30 people in her complex from Bhutan. I asked her about the red mark on her forehead. She explained it meant that she went to a ceremony. They blessed an indoor plant that improves breathing. When Ganga's family came they did not have a church sponser. She is often amazed at the headstart we are giving the family. We agreed that the girls should do well in school and Tika has characteristics that should make him a good employer.

Ganga explained that tone is a challenge to learning English. By this I think she means more than accent. I don't pay much attention in tone but it may be the part of the Indian-type accent that makes it difficult for us.

Tika was quiet for much of the beginning of my visit. He suddenly mention that he wanted to learn to drive. I may have that Ganga was telling about her failure of the driving test that prompted this. My immediate thought was to take him out so he could watch me drive. I asked him if he had ever operated any machinery. He has not. My mind started spinning about all the activities that prepare us for driving. We play with toy cars. We learn to steer a bike or a coaster car. We spend hours watching our parents drive, looking out the window at the signs and singals. We pick up hints from television. It was overwhelming to think of all the steps to teach Tika to drive. So I decided to take him for ride. Ganga needed a ride home so --two birds, one stone.

I showed him how the key starts the car. Seatbelts were easy. Red means stop. Green means go. Speed limit signs tell you how fast you can go. Left turns are dangerous.... I learned to drive in a small town. Phoenix collector streets are a nightmare. Then, there's the freeways! I needed gas so I let Tika fill the tank. Driving lesson number 1 complete. 299 to go??

1 comment:

Mike Darus said...

In a message dated 11/19/2008 4:25:43 P.M. US Mountain Standard Time, ebfab@cox.net writes:
Emery and I went Tuesday afternoon ,thay seamed happy to see us, but tired.We showed them how the cooler worked and oven . There friends in the complex were there the hole time we were there,so it made it hard to talk about it all .We took the girls for ice cream and stoped at Wallgreens to get a phone card,also they asked for a rice cooker we found one so we got that . Today I went with Carol ,as we were getting out of our car Mike Dorus walked up ,so we all went in togeather,thay allways seem happy to see us.We talked about some of the can food,and what it was and how to open it . We showed them how to use the vac and then it would not work any more,so I brought it home for Emery to look at . The freg door would not close all the way Mike, Carol and I got it fixed,some times it takes all of us .Emery ,Frankie and Carol.