Monday, November 24, 2008

Trip to the Post Office

We arrived about 10:00 and we were invited to watch the videos which they love. They love the music! I told the girls that I thought the sensual video was too sexy and I really did not like it much! In my mind it would be a good DVD to lose!

Elvern and Tika practiced using the iron using the distilled water and the steam feature. He was very committed to professional standards in ironing both his slacks and dress shirt.

They seemed interested in the fact that Carol teaches college students and I have taught high school students for many years. We discussed school schedule - start time end time, periods per day, available courses, ESL classes, girls wear jeans and t shirts. This was a concern for mom since they had worn skirts in Nepal. Amy, when we drove on Dunlap past the high school, they indicated that they are so anxious to learn more about Cortez high school. Perhaps a student handbook, yearbook or even textbooks would satisfy their curiosity

Then we headed for the post office which I was dreading since I remembered how I felt 25 years ago waiting in line at the Northern and I 17 post office. The line was just as long as it was 25 years ago! We picked up an address card which will be placed in the apartment complex lobby mailbox this afternoon at 4:00 when the key is available, bought stamps with our debit card from the machine, examined mailing resources available to purchase and learned that it will take three stamps to send mail to family in Nepal. They have telephone numbers but do not have mailing addresses for their family in NH, Ill or WA.

Using car doors, window buttons and following the GPS all made the trip to the post office more exciting. I carry chewing gum in my car so they each tried it. We did not discuss chewing quietly with our mouths closed!

I learned that Komula married Tika when she was 11 and he was 18 years old. I understand that they lived with his parents for some time. I told the girls that most American girls wait to marry until 20 - 30 years. I'm not sure how to interpret their giggle.

Take care
Helen and Elvern

Tika said he is very interested in learning about Christianity

1 comment:

kpetty said...

Nov. 24, 2008 Update on the brother/sister.

Much to my surprise they are part of a family of six. The rest of the family will be coming on Dec. 3which includes mother, father and 2younger siblings.

The brother came out to my car with the same familiar greeting of bowing with hands together. Yikes! I couldn't even begin to pronounce his name or his sister's when she introduced herself. Made me pretty happy our family has easy names.

We quickly unloaded the donations from my car and made a mound in their kitchen and dining area. They looked overwhelmed and not quite sure what was going on but extremely appreciative.

Michelle, their case manager, is very sweet and much younger than I expected. She was very grateful for the donations. I told her that we should be able to deliver the furniture tomorrow. One sofa is not enough seating for a family of six and they would have to eat in shifts around the card table they currently are using. Hopefully the donated dining room table will fit.

The congregation is still calling me with donations. Two end tables will be going to this family too.
kpetty