Monday, January 26, 2009

Thank you all for such a great meeting yesterday, though we missed a few people. Today I went down to the Bhattaria's and delivered to them the things we rescued out of storage on Saturday....clothes, bedding........all washed and clean. There were some really nice things in the bags that they really needed! Plus I had been given lots of young men's clothing so passed that on for Krishna and Gopal. I also delivered some hygiene and housecleaning supplies and some new pillows I got for pennies on a clearance rack. I asked them to store them for their coming family members if they didn't need them immediately. I visited with Gopal and Mon for about 20 minutes. Their mother was present but didn't talk. Living next door to them is an Iraqi family, and coincidentally, a visitor of theirs was a man I met through my Iraqi friends on Indian School and 28th Street. We visited briefly. Gopal later told me that his impression of the Iraqi's is that they were/are rich and only came here to be safe, and that they have many complaints. He contrasted them against the Nepalis who have suffered for 18-20 years with nothing, little opportunities, little education. I took a risk of challenging him a little bit, while agreeing with him somewhat since my Iraqi friend Thaer has also said some of the Iraqi's are "spoiled", but said that all of us have a story, and many people suffer in many different ways. I told him how Thaer lost everything he ever owned and that his friends were assassinated in Iraq. I told him a bit about Billy and how he has suffered all of his life with physical disabilities and how his mother abandoned and neglected him. But I also said that all of us can be grateful to God for everything He has provided and really emphasized how it may be very hard to be grateful at times, we must all look to God for providing for us and helping us through the suffering. I don't know what the Lord had in mind for the conversation really, but it flowed naturally and was a good sharing time. On a different topic, Gopal said his mother has some serious health issues, apparently had had an intestinal obstruction at some point in the past, and has severe consequences of that. Since intestinal health is my second major (due to Billy's story) I offered to go with him to her doctor appointment to help them understand more of what can be done to help her. He said they are having a difficult time adjusting but he feels like his brother and sisters are doing okay. Mon looked sad and didn't take part though I think she understood some. Gopal started his job at the airport tonight at 9:30 pm. It will take him about an hour to get to/from work. Tika told me that Gopal and family would like to move more centrally because it is hard for them to go to the store or to work, since they are not on a bus line directly. They have asked LSS to place them together with their family members who are coming in 2 months. The two high schoolers go to Central High.

Later today I stopped by the A. family to have Tika sign the camp forms (he signed one side, not the other) again and to get the medical info required since Uma will need to take her medication with her. I also gave them the list of what to take/not take to the youth retreat. Apparently this is NOT a rustic camp setting, so I think they'll be fine with the layers of clothes they have, in addition to Carol's gloves and stuff. I found some sweatshirts for Durga, Krishna and Dhan. Tika and I agreed he needs to get that cash deposited ASAP so we will do that tomorrow. I hope this is okay with the team, but I did put on Tika the expectation that he would send $10 with each girl. Zack, the youth pastor, told me that they will stop for dinner on the way there and back and each kid needs money for that meal. They have the money and it's important that they have some ownership/investment in the trip. Tika agreed without hesitation. They also agreed to take the girls shopping for snacks for the trip. Tika asked me again if it's dangerous for them to go to camp in the mountains. I asked the girls if they've ever in their lives been separated from their mom for even one night.....they never have! So this is a big deal for all of them that they spend a weekend away!

No comments: